The end of the Kiddle’s era
- In 1917 the Society’s directors invested £5,700 in the 5% war loan
- By 1921 the Society’s head office had moved to yet another new address in Castle Street, Hinckley, located where WH Smith can be found today. The following year witnessed the death of the Society’s former Manager and founder Thomas Kiddle, aged 94.
- In 1923, after 10 years in the position, George Kiddle retired as Manager, with brother Harold taking over.
- In 1932 the Society saw a record turnover of £173,546. The Society’s 67th annual report began with the heading ‘A Record Year’ and included a quote from E. T. Peirson & Sons (auditors) saying:
We are glad to note that the Society continues to grow, showing thereby that it retains the confidence of the public.
- The 1945 annual report includes praise for staff, who had kept the business running efficiently during the Second World War. There was also a mention of Harold’s son Geoffrey, who had returned after five and a half years’ war service in the Royal Navy. Geoffrey, who had been working for the Society as a clerk, became manager in 1946 when his father retired from the role.
- In 1950 the Society’s assets had exceeded £1m for the first time.
- In 1953, Rugby Provident Permanent Building Society shortened its name to Rugby Provident Building Society.
- The Kiddle association with the Society ended in 1959 after 94 years, with the retirement of Geoffrey Kiddle. The role of manager was taken over by Eric Faulkner.
- In 1960 assets reached £2m and the Society purchased its first automated accounting machine.
- In 1965 the Society celebrated its Centenary. A newspaper feature included a photograph of the directors, now with Mr C.F. Hands as Chairman.