Our Mortgage Support Promise outlines the ways we’re helping our mortgage customers who have been financially affected by COVID-19.
It provides clarity and reassurance to those who need it most at this time and incorporates our regulators’ recently updated guidance for how the financial services sector can help those who are experiencing ongoing financial concerns as a result of Coronavirus.
1. A break from making payments: We’re offering Mortgage Payment Breaks of up to three months and these will be available until 31 October 2020. We have provided more information about Payment Breaks to help you decide if this is the right option for you.
2. Ongoing Support: Towards the end of your Payment Break we will be back in touch to discuss your next steps.
If your circumstances have improved we have a number of options to help you get your mortgage back on track.
If your Payment Break ends on or before the 31st of October 2020, and the impact of Coronavirus means you are still unable to afford your mortgage payments these options will include the opportunity to apply for an Extended Payment Break with full or partially deferred payment for up to a further three months.
We will provide you with information to understand these options, and we encourage you to seek independent advice if you are unsure how to proceed.
If none of these options are suitable we will work with you to understand your circumstances and explore other ways to get your mortgage back on track in an affordable and sustainable way.
3. Reassurance: We are committed to supporting our members and helping them find a way to get their mortgage back on track.
For members who have taken a Payment Break and an Extended Payment Break, and who are working with us to get their mortgage back on track, we will not begin repossession action before 31 January 2021.
Repossession is always a last resort and we won’t take action to repossess any property before 31 October 2020.
These dates will not apply if a member asks us to repossess their home. If you would like to discuss repossession or the voluntary surrender of your property please contact us.
4. Supporting your tenants: We encourage Buy to Let landlords to consider their own role in providing support through these difficult times, such as passing on Payment Breaks to their tenants.
5. Talking is important: We understand that the impact of COVID-19 on you and your family may be complex and wide-reaching but we want you to know that we’re here to listen and help. You may also find it useful to obtain free independent advice and support from experts who can help you understand your options and make the decisions that are best for you.