At Hinckley & Rugby our community work is much more than donations and sponsorships.
Many of the projects we get involved in require the superpowers of volunteers offering their time and efforts, which is where our wonderful staff step in…
From one-off team challenges to weekly commitments it has to be said that our staff are troopers when it comes to volunteering and many choose to do so through our on-going membership of Leicestershire Cares – an organisation which partners projects with Leicestershire-based businesses. Such projects include:
- Number Partners – a scheme which sees a team of volunteers take a weekly visit to a local primary school to play maths-based board games with 7-8 year olds, with the aim of helping them become more confident with maths.
- Team Challenges – from de-weeding overgrown gardens to painting community halls, our yearly team challenge pulls together staff from different departments to help community projects in our branch network
- Christmas Challenges – each year for the past three years volunteers from the Society have laid on a Christmas party for the members of Mencap in Hinckley
- Interview Techniques – sessions in local schools which involve mock interviews for GCSE students looking towards their next steps in education and the world of work
- Go for Reading – a scheme which sees volunteers from the Society visit a local secondary school to help pupils with their reading skills
Other volunteering activities include:
- Talking News for Vista – each month two volunteers (from a team of eight who currently volunteer) record news stories from Hinckley’s weekly newspaper, The Hinckley Times. The recordings are then distributed to people in the local area with visual impairment
- A member regularly volunteers at Green Towers (Hinckley, Leicestershire); a local group for young people, as a football coach
- Director at Hinckley BID (Business Improvement District)
- School governor at a local school
- A member volunteers with a local church youth group
- Charitee trustee for Hinckley Ladies Circle
- Car club member – raising money for various charities at motoring events
- NED at Ahead Partnership – an organisation which connects employers with education, public and private sector partners
- Scout Leader
As you can see, we’re pretty committed to supporting our local community. Our passion for helping those in need has brought us closer to our heartlands and we will continue to offer our support through as many means as possible, in order to help as many individuals, projects and charities as possible. It’s really rather simple – if we can help, we will help.