If you have a Power of Attorney or Court of Protection for someone, you will need to register the document with us.

  • We will need the original Power of Attorney document or Court of Protection Order (or a copy certified by a Solicitor on each page). Alternatively, if you are using the Lasting Power of Attorney online service, you can enter the document access code on the registration form so we can view the document summary online
  • If you are opening a new account, an account application form should be completed and signed detailing all account holders, Attorneys, and Deputies. If you’re opening an ISA account, call us on 01455 894 060 and we will send you an additional registration form to provide details for the Attorneys and Deputies
  • If you are registering this on an existing account, contact us and we will send you a Power of Attorney Registration form, which will need to be completed and signed by the Attorneys
  • We will use an electronic verification system to identify each Attorney being registered on the account. If this is unsuccessful, we will ask for additional proof of identity
  • If you are registering this on an existing account, we will need the account passbook(s) if held. If you are unable to locate the account passbook(s), please let us know

You can deliver these documents in person or by post to one of our branches and agencies.

Once the Power of Attorney is registered, you will receive confirmation by post along with any updated passbook(s).

A registered Attorney can manage an account in the same way the account holder can, and is able to do the following:

  • Make transactions
  • Close an account
  • Update details on behalf of the account holder. If required, the account correspondence address can be updated to the first named Attorney’s registered address

Please note, the Power of Attorney document becomes invalid on the death of the account holder, and you will no longer be able to administer the account.

We accept an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA). We can only register standard EPAs where the account holder still maintains mental capacity. If the donor is mentally incapable, the document must first be registered at the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG).  

If you need any further guidance for registering a Power of Attorney with the Society, please contact us using the details below.

Get in touch

Please visit one of our branches or agencies, or you can call us on 01455 894 060 and speak to a member of our team.

Our lines are open Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm, Saturday 9am – 12pm. We are closed on Sundays and bank holidays.